Is a Kurdish State Essential for Middle East Peace?
Kurdishaspect.com - By Dlshad Amin
The fundamental facts of internal instability as experienced by the states Kurds reside have its adverse effects of: political, economic, and social consequences. As such it is evidently obvious that resolution to the Kurdish issue has uncountable remunerations for Turkey, Iran, Iraq, and Syria as they suffer various from of tribulations stemming from their Kurdish issue with the followings being the prime ones:
- 1. Disarmament of the Kurdish armed groups
- 2. Restoring the rule of law in the Kurdish regions and gaining internal political stability
- 3. Restoring internal and external political trust and gaining international credibility
- 4. Restoring social cohesion between their Kurdish populations and the dominant national groups
- 6. The use of their Kurdish population as a mediator for potential rising disputes between Turkey, Iran, Iraq, and Syria as neighbours
- Thus, it is ideal for those states to find common resolution to their Kurdish problem. However, ideal and feasibility are two separate realms of the issue – what is ideal may not always be feasible.
When thinking about the feasibility of collective resolution to the Kurdish case, the circumstantial deference of those states and the Kurds come to one's mind. As we witness on the daily basis, Syria is experiencing unimaginable suffer with large part of the state being out of its control including its Kurdish region. Therefore, the Syrian Kurds as well as the Iraqi Kurds as a defector state may not accept basic form of their rights as they have gained more than that at present, while the Turkish-Kurds and Iranian Kurds may well accept disarmament for basic rights. Therefore, the circumstantial differences of the Kurds and the states Kurds reside make collective approach to resolve the Kurdish issue quite unfeasible. Accordingly, each states has to approach their Kurdish issue spritely, but the issue is that this method has been tried with not much of a result as history attest. Historically each state has separately tried to solve their Kurdish problem through assimilation and ethnic cleansing, and in occasions has used each other's Kurdish population against each other. This abuse of the Kurds was severely inflected the stability and well-beings of Iran and Iraq for example, as the very reason for the war between them (1980-1980) was the abuse of Kurds. Iran supported the Iraqi Kurds against the Sunni Baath regime of Iraq as a military and political pressure, so that the Iraqi government of the time would give-up the Persian-see, which it did, but after relative political stability, Iraq demanded the return of the Persian-see, which latter-on this issue played a divisive factor in the start of the Iran-Iraq war. Therefore, the method of individual approach by the different states towards solving Kurdish problem has failed. Thus, there is a need for finding some way of collective approach to the Kurdish case of the Middle East. Arguably, the ideal method of resolution is permission of:
- 1. Linguistic, cultural, and political rights
- 2. Autonomy for each part of Kurdistan;
- 3. The establishment of a symbolic Kurdish Congress for all four part of Kurdistan, so that all Kurds can associate with each other and feel belong to the Kurdish nation as well as the state they reside;
- 4. and the ease of border between the Kurdish regions while maintaining each part of Kurdistan as indispensible part of the states currently Kurds reside.
This method needs the will of all four states working together in solving their Kurdish issue, while similarly the same will is needed from the Kurdish parts too. For this resolution to be realised, a trust has to be built between the different states, the Kurdish political parties of different parts of Kurdistan; and trust has to be built between the Kurds and the states Kurds reside. This needs a wholehearted initiative by all parties concerned that yet need to be seen.
Therefore, a Kurdish state in conventional sense is not necessary; rather implementation of the above four points would do the Kurds and brings peace to the region, in particular the states Kurds reside.